Extract from A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ABJI AND LADAK FAMILIES by ABDULMOHAMED JAFFER LADAK.
The First World War started in the year 1914. The Germans had earlier started to build a railway line from Dar-es-Salaam to Kigoma. When the War started, there were more Ismaili dukas in Kilimatinde, a distance of about 60 miles from Dodoma. At that time, there were only five or six small shops in Dodoma. The railway line was nearing Dodoma and a large labour force was employed in building the railway line. Business started to improve in Dodoma and most of the Ismailis in Kilimatinde then moved to Dodoma, and opened up small dukas. The First World War ended in 1918. There was no Jamatkhana at that time. When it was convenient, the Ismailis met in somebody’s house for prayers. On other days, they prayed where they lived.
In 1921, the first Jamatkhana was built. The first Mukhi was Late Nasser Damji with Late Rajpar Ladak as his Kamadia. The appointment was made by Dar-es-Salaam Council for 2 years, 1922 and 1923.